Thursday, May 20, 2010

my family and me

a portrait of my family, from the art therapy activity in my PTSD workbook.

this drawing in one element turned out exactly as i had pictured--in another, nothing like the three previous drawings. i finished the line drawing and it was so beautiful to me i didn't want to add color and detail and ruin it. so it is more of a gesture drawing.

my family is facing forward, to the future...i am facing behind, stuck in the past, walking backward, unable to see where i am going, only where i have been.

this is me, i am
this is my space
my life's road

1 comment:

Paula said...

It is so carefully drawn. Yet I felt so exstranged by you and one kid looking in a different direction. it reminded me of this picture inside me of having a family - happily ever after - you know the idealized family which doesnt exist anyway....