Monday, May 17, 2010

art therapy activity: who i am

this is the art therapy project from chapter one of my PTSD workbook. i'm really not sure where to begin. so i am going to post the activity here--if you'd like to do it for yourself, that would be great. i want to see your drawings if you decide to post them so let me know! also, i'm doing this because writing it out myself may help me get a better idea about what i want to do.

---------

this exercise is a series of drawings that will give you information about who you are. these drawings were originally designed by spring (1993).

1. this is me, i am. this drawing shows you what you think about yourself. it is your self-portrait.
finished artwork posted here

2. this is my space. this drawing shows how you see your world, your position in it, and your reaction to it. do you believe you have a space in your world? what are your relationships with significant others? where do your fears, wishes, anger, depression, and personal strengths and weaknesses fit in? how do you tolerate your world in the present? do you feel isolated and withdrawn or included and part of the world around you?
finished artwork posted here

3. my life's road. this is a visual history of your life.
finished artwork posted here 

4. my family and me. this drawing is a portrait of your family and your current relationships and family system. it shows how you view your family and your position in it.
finished artwork posted here 

5. this is me, i am. this second self-portrait is completed after the three intermediate drawings are done. do you see yourself as you did before drawing the other three drawings?
finished artwork posted here 

in drawings one and five, how large are you? what facial expression do you have? what are you doing? in drawing two, draw what is important to you in your world and how your world is to you. what symbols are present? what emotions? in drawing three, show the ups and downs of your life in a linear way. is your road straight, curvy, full of hills and valleys? drawing four is self-explanatory.

what did you learn about yourself in completing these drawings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only are you a talented artist, your story of survival is incredible and inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can really relate to your portrait of your space. But the one I really love... I love the portrait of you and your family. It gives me hope, that one day, we will be able to leave the past and look ahead with everyone else. But also, that you have people that love you and are looking out for your future in the meantime. And that having to face the past doesn't mean you can't move towards the future, that you can do that and hold loved ones close. It's really beautiful.

I hope you have a good day today.