Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life. (S.D. Gordon)

happy easter, everyone!

in lieu of posting a picture of the resurrection we have all seen a hundred times (not that they aren't beautiful or meaningful) i chose instead to post this painting--"doubting thomas" by caravaggio. i love this painting. (see John 20:24-29.) thomas was an apostle who refused to believe without direct, physical evidence that it was, in fact, Christ as a resurrected being.

"...blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:29)

i have not seen--not with my physical eyes--and yet i believe. many would put me down for this. tell me that i am a fool. but in my heart i believe, i feel it, and i am so thankful for my testimony of Christ and His resurrection.

"There is not room for Death,
Nor atom that his might could render void:
Thou - Thou art Being and Breath,
And what Thou art may never be destroyed."
~Emily Bronte


my Savior gave His life for me. for me, and for you. for my children. for my family. for people on the other side of the world that i will never know--past and present, and future. easter is so much more than a celebration of Christ's resurrection--but one of our own resurrection, as well. philip brooks puts it beautifully: "Let every man and woman count himself immortal. Let him catch the revelation of Jesus in his resurrection. Let him say not merely, 'Christ is risen,' but 'I shall rise.' "

let's all remember as we are stuffing ourselves with reese's eggs, chocolate bunnies, and jelly beans, that the beauty of easter is sacrifice and joy, a new beginning, the sprouting flowers amidst the frozen snow.

"The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances." ~Robert Flatt

and with the joy of easter---comes the joy of chocolate.

i hope you all have a fantastic day, hopefully spent with your friends and family.

No comments: