wear blue ribbons this month. when someone asks why, spread a little knowledge.
About Child Abuse in the U.S.There are nearly 3 million child abuse cases REPORTED each year. Experts say the actual number is closer to 9 million, since most go unreported. This puts child abuse at epidemic proportions in this country. Each day nearly 4 children die from child abuse. Child abuse costs the U.S. economy $250 Million dollars a DAY. It's time we do something.
You occasionally catch a heartbreaking story on the news but there are so many abused children who suffer silently with no hope. It is time that we stop waiting for these cases to go to the extreme before these kids get help. That quiet child in class or the troubled teen you write off as a problem child might actually be victims. Imagine feeling unprotected, unloved and unsafe.
Not sure you can make a difference? You can. There are so many causes out there that are worthy of our time, money and attention. Don’t our children deserve to be one of them? You can help us fight for these kids.
Feel proud that you are helping to keep America's children safe. Every day we see kids neglected, abandoned, and abused. Too often we do nothing! Take pride in yourself and put aside your fear, outrage and discomfort . BE A VOICE FOR THE CHILDREN.
There are five types of Child Abuse. Physical abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation, emotional abuse, neglect, and child endangerment.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- Almost five children die everyday as a result of child abuse. More than three out of four are under the age of 4.
- It is estimated that between 60-85% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way; 68% are abused by family members.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- 31% percent of women in prison in the United States were abused as children.
- Over 60% of people in drug rehabilitation centers report being abused or neglected as a child.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- About 80% of 21 year old that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 is $104 billion.
- Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy.
- Abused teens are 3 times less likely to practice safe sex, putting them at greater risk for STDs.
- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
child abuse CAN be prevented.
use your knowledge to save a life...to save someone a lifetime of hurt.