Friday, August 21, 2009

parents and parenting themes in the blog carnival

i just finished reading all of the posts from this month's blog carnival against child abuse.

there were two in particular that really struck me, in light of the recent (and not so recent) issues i've had with my parents.

the first: a post from dr. kathleen young, a psychologist in chicago. her post called childhood wounds: understanding yourself in context really struck home. i think EVERYONE should read this, because everyone has issues because of their parents, some worse than others. also, as a parent, it really helped me to put my greatest fear in a little better context: screwing up my kids. like my husband says, we will screw up our kids--the goal is to do it as little as possible.

the second: a blog i've never read before, secret shadows. her post is called fortune cookie. her husband got a fortune that said: “Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.” she related this to both she and her husband coming from highly disfunctional families, but choosing to play their poor hands well and stopping the cycle for their own children. i need to keep this in mind for myself--i need to learn how to play a poor hand well. i know my hubby will appreciate this as he loves to play texas hold 'em....and he knows how to play a poor hand well. (me, on the other hand, everything is written all over my face and i really suck at the game.)

it's been a pretty inspiring night, with all of the great posts i've been reading. you should all go check out the blog carnival. it really is a good one.

No comments: